Health Psychology Certificate Program
Provide health psychology coursework to a variety of students enrolled in graduate study. Health psychology is involved in many professions to include psychology, educational psychology, allied health professions, exercise science, sociology, social welfare, and many others. Today’s health care is an interprofessional approach to service and health psychology will be part of patient contact and research being conducted in all health areas. Researchers and providers that have education and training in health psychology are in high demand with the changes in health care emerging. Our certificate will supply broad and specific education in health psychology theory, research and clinical applications.
Demand/Need for the Program
The Clinical Psychology program has a Major area of Study in Health Psychology but admission to that program is quite limited and this certificate program could serve a wide range of graduate students at the University of Kansas as well as graduate non-degree seeking students. One of the major demands right now across disciplines is interprofessional training and development. We hope this program will bring together persons seeking graduate education across many disciplines who will learn and work interprofessionally in a variety of health care settings. Health care is moving to “health homes” where patients will receive integrated behavioral health care especially for chronic health conditions. This certificate program will support various graduate students in their pursuit of interprofessional education and training. We have had students from a variety of graduate areas including clinical psychology take health psychology courses and indicate strong interest and desire to account for specialization in the area of health psychology
How to Apply
Applications for the certificate program are accepted on a rolling basis.
Psychology department graduate students who wish to pursue a Health Psychology Graduate Certificate should consult with Dr. Nancy Hamilton. The Department will then request that the College/school add a certificate to a graduate degree-seeking student’s plan. All other applicants must fill out an online application. Click here to complete your application online: Graduate Studies Application.
- Statement of one’s interest in Health Psychology
- Current Degree Progress Report (DPR) or Advising Report
- Letter of support from home academic department
- One letter of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work or potential for graduate school
- Transcripts from all institutions from which a degree was obtained, or any institutions attended post-bachelors. Copies of official transcripts that you have opened may be uploaded to the application online and used for admissions consideration. If you are admitted, sealed, or official electronic transcripts showing degree conferral, if applicable, must be provided by the end of your first semester at KU. Send official, sealed transcripts to:
- Applicants who indicate English is not their native language: Proof of English proficiency, as required by the Office of Graduate Studies.
For questions regarding the application process, please contact: